The AIGA AVL Student Portfolio Review Week connects emerging designers with local design professionals. In 30-minute virtual consultations, participants will receive one-on-one guidance on their portfolios to help set them up for success.
Created specifically for students in graphic design, branding, UX/UI, animation and digital design, the AIGA AVL Portfolio Review Week is an incredible opportunity for future designers to hone their interview skills and connect with a professional eager to help.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
The reviews are open to soon-to-be graduate students at the undergraduate & graduate levels, as well as recent grads with 0-2 years of work experience.
WIN A CREATIVE CLOUD SUBSCRIPTION:
We’re excited to raffle off a 1-year subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud to one of our reviewee participants!
HOW IT WORKS:
- Reviewers and reviewee pairs will be introduced via email in late March, and will coordinate a meeting time that works best for them.
- Pairs will meet via Zoom or Google Meet during the Portfolio Review Week of April 12-16, 2021.
- Reviewees will present their work as if in a professional interview setting.
- Reviewers will provide honest, constructive feedback.
Students: we strongly recommend you reach out to your reviewer first after pairs are assigned. If you don’t hear from your reviewer in a timely manner, reach out to them! They may be waiting for you to take the initiative, just as an actual employer may do.
This is a great opportunity to:
- Have a personal one-on-one conversation with a leader in your industry
- Receive a professional and honest critique on your work and resume
- Practice your interview and presentation skills
- Build connections in the community
To apply, please fill out the form here: https://forms.gle/FtAUc3CmoS29ydEe7
Registration ends April 8.
TIPS FOR PREPARING FOR YOUR VIRTUAL REVIEW:
While this isn’t a real job interview, it’s your chance to receive helpful constructive feedback and even make a new connection. We encourage all reviewees to treat their review as if it were a professional interview. First impressions matter!
- Have your resume and your portfolio presentation prepared and ready to share via video chat.
- Set yourself up in a quiet room that is distraction-free, and dress as you would for an interview.
- Ensure your laptop or device is fully charged, and test your mic and camera ahead of time.
- Show up on time, or even early, for your review.
More helpful tips from AIGA:
Presenting your portfolio: https://www.aiga.org/portfolio-presenting
Common resume & cover letter mistakes: https://www.aiga.org/resume-common-mistakes
We are endlessly grateful for the support of our reviewers, and the knowledge you share with emerging creatives in our community!
If you are interested in applying to review portfolios, please fill out the form here: https://forms.gle/TYMoDKY6WGtgofag8
Registration ends April 8. Kindly note that we may not be able to invite everyone who applies as a reviewer to participate. Our needs hinge on the number of students that apply, as well as the students’ focus areas. We will reach out to you if we are able to pair you with a student.
- Reviews must be conducted between Monday, April 12, through Friday, April 16, 2021. Kindly ensure your availability during that time period when applying to review.
- Reviewers are asked to spend up to 30 minutes one-on-one with each reviewee. (When applying, you may specify how many students you have the capacity to meet with.)
- Reviewers will be paired with their reviewee(s) via email. Pairs will communicate to set up their own times to meet. We recommend Zoom or Google Meet for ease of setup.
NOTES ON USING VIDEO CHAT SOFTWARE:
- Pairs will set up their reviews using Zoom or Google Meet. Both platforms allow participants to join via web browser without downloading an app.
- Either an internal computer microphone or an external mic will be needed to participate.
- A computer webcam (internal or external) will be needed to participate.
CODE OF CONDUCT:
By registering for this event, you agree to abide by the AIGA Asheville Code of Conduct: http://asheville.aiga.org/about-us/code-of-conduct/