Fall 2022 Student Portfolio Week Nov. 14th – 18th, 2022
Call for Reviewers and Student Registrations
The AIGA AVL Fall 2022 Student Portfolio Review Week connects emerging designers with local design professionals. In 30-minute virtual consultations, participants will receive one-on-one guidance on their portfolios to help set them up for success. Created specifically for students in graphic design, branding, UX/UI, animation, and digital design, the AIGA AVL Portfolio Review Week is an incredible opportunity for future designers to hone their interview skills and connect with a professional eager to help.
***As a bonus, by participating in the portfolio review you will be automatically entered to win a one-year free subscription to Adobe CC. The winner will be announced at the end of the Portfolio week.
The deadline to register is Nov 4th, 2022
STUDENTS who want to apply must fill out this form:
AIGA AVL is seeking local graphic design leaders for its Student Portfolio Review Week. Professional designers are needed to lead virtual reviews with local students seeking guidance and feedback on their portfolios as they prepare to enter the world of design.
PROFESSIONAL DESIGNERS who want to apply must fill out this form:
What to Expect during Portfolio Review Week
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
The reviews are open to soon-to-be graduate students at the undergraduate & graduate levels, as well as recent grads with 0-2 years of work experience.
This is a great opportunity to:
- Have a personal one-on-one conversation with a leader in your industry
- Receive a professional and honest critique on your work and resume
- Practice your interview and presentation skills
- Build connections in the community
HOW IT WORKS:
- Reviewers and reviewee pairs will be introduced via email and will coordinate a meeting time that works best for them.
- Pairs will meet during the Portfolio Review Week of Nov 14-18, 2022.
- Reviewees will present their work as if in a professional interview setting.
- Reviewers will provide honest, constructive feedback.
Students: we strongly recommend you reach out to your reviewer first after pairs are assigned. If you don’t hear from your reviewer in a timely manner, reach out to them! They may be waiting for you to take the initiative, just as an actual employer may do.
TIPS FOR PREPARING FOR YOUR VIRTUAL REVIEW:
While this isn’t a real job interview, it’s your chance to receive helpful constructive feedback and even make a new connection. We encourage all reviewees to treat their review as if it were a professional interview. First impressions matter!
- Have your resume and your portfolio presentation prepared and ready to share via video chat.
- Set yourself up in a quiet room that is distraction-free, and dress as you would for an interview.
- Ensure your laptop or device is fully charged, and test your mic and camera ahead of time.
- Show up on time, or even early, for your review.
HELPFUL TIPS FROM AIGA:
Presenting your portfolio: https://www.aiga.org/portfolio-presenting
Common resume & cover letter mistakes: https://www.aiga.org/resume-common-mistakes
CODE OF CONDUCT:
By registering for this event, you agree to abide by the AIGA Asheville Code of Conduct: https://asheville.aiga.org/about-us/code-of-conduct/